Unit 4 – Impact of Job Loss and Transitioning
In this unit you will explore job loss and adult transitioning. In addition, you will also explore the impact of today’s technology on career counseling especially Using Computer-Based Counseling Programs.
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
- Analyze the early, middle, and later developmental stages of career development.
- Describe strategies to advocate for diverse clientsâ€™ career and educational development.
- Choose developmentally appropriate assessments for clients experiencing job loss.
- Assess cultural appropriateness of the assessments chosen for individual clients.
- Assess concerns related to using computer-assisted programs in career counseling.
Unit 4 Study 1
Use your Career Counseling text to read the following:
- Chapter 7, “The Impact of New Technology on Work, Career Development, and Learning Platforms,” pages 188â€“205.
- , “Job Loss and Transitions,” pages 298â€“318.
- , “Career Development and Transitions of Working Adults,” pages 320â€“343.
Use the Capella Library to read ONE of the following articles that relates most closely to your interests or specialization:
- Charleston, L. J., Charleston, S. A., & Jackson, J. F. L. (2014). Using culturally responsive practices to broaden participation in the educational pipeline: Addressing the unfinished business of Brown in the field of computing sciences. The Journal of Negro Education, 83(3), 400â€“419, 425.
- Nota, L., Santilli, S., & Soresi, S. (2016). A life-design-based online career intervention for early adolescents: Description and initial analysis. Career Development Quarterly, 64(1), 4â€“19.
- Osborn, D. S., Kronholz, J. F., Finklea, J. T., & Cantonis, A. M. (2014). Technology-savvy career counselling. Canadian Psychology, 55(4), 258â€“265.
- Steele, T. M., Jacokes, D. E., & Stone, C. B. (2015). An examination of the role of online technology in school counseling. Professional School Counseling, 18(1), 125â€“135.
Use your Using Assessment Results text to read the following:
- Chapter 9, “Computer-Assisted Career Guidance and Online Assessments,” pages 148â€“160.
- Use the Library.
Unit 4 Discussion 1: 1 page needed with minimum of 250 words and 2 references.
Because many assessments and inventories are now available and completed online, counselors need to be aware of the issues related to the use of technology in career counseling. What are some of the concerns that you should be aware of when using computer systems with your clients? Consider issues such as confidentiality, online assessment scoring and interpretation. What suggestions do you have to address these concerns? What would you tell a client or student about best practices when using the Internet in job searches?