Unit 5 Assignment – Multicultural and Gender Issues
In this unit you will explore the importance of cultural competency and its impact on career counseling and consultation. Multicultural and Gender Issues
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
- Analyze how societal norms such as gender, age, culture, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics may have influenced a client’s career development.
- Assess how biases and assumptions can impact the career counseling process both from the perspective of a counselor and from the perspective of a client or student.
- Self-assess biases and assumptions and describe how to minimize them when working with diverse populations. Multicultural and Gender Issues
- Analyze issues affecting women and other cultural groups in the workforce and ways to address those issues from a career counseling perspective.
- Learning Activities
Unit 5 Study 1: Studies Readings
Use your Career Counseling text to read the following:
- Chapter 9, “Career Counseling for Multicultural Groups,” pages 222â€“247.
- Chapter 10, “Gender Issues and Dual Careers,” pages 248â€“260.
- Appendix C, “Multicultural Career Counseling Checklist for Female Clients,” pages 416â€“418.
Use your Using Assessment Results text to read the following: Multicultural and Gender Issues
- Chapter 3, “Some Measurement Concepts,” pages 29â€“42.
- Chapter 8, “Career Beliefs and Decision-Making Inventories,” pages 130â€“145.
Use the Library to read the following:
- Lee, C. C. (2012). A conceptual framework for culturally competent career counseling practice. Career Planning & Adult Development Journal, 28(1), 7â€“14.
- PÃ¤ssler, K., Beinicke, A., & Hell, B. (2014). Gender-related differential validity and differential prediction in interest inventories. Journal of Career Assessment, 22(1), 138â€“152.
Choose ONE of the following articles to read or search the Library for a career counseling article related to a culture different from your culture or ethnicity. You will use this article in your assignment in this unit.
- Chronister, K. M., Harley, E., Aranda, C. L., Barr, L., & Luginbuhl, P. (2012). Community-based career counseling for women survivors of intimate partner violence: A collaborative partnership. Journal of Career Development, 39(6), 515â€“539.
- Flynn, S. V., Duncan, K. J., & Evenson, L. L. (2013). An emergent phenomenon of American Indian secondary students’ career development process. Career Development Quarterly, 61(2), 124â€“140.
- Moakler, M. W., & Kim, M. M. (2014). College major choice in STEM: Revisiting confidence and demographic factors. Career Development Quarterly, 62(2), 128â€“142.
- Tovar-Murray, D., Jenifer, E. S., Andrusyk, J., D’Angelo, R., & King, T. (2012). Racism-related stress and ethnic identity as determinants of African American college students’ career aspirations. Career Development Quarterly, 60(3), 254â€“262.
- Yang, A. (2014). Themes in the career development of 1.5-generation Hmong American women. Journal of Career Development, 41(5), 402â€“425.
- Zalaquett, C., & Baez, J. (2012). Career counseling with Hispanics/Latinos/as. Career Planning and Adult Development Journal, 28(1), 57â€“71.
Use the Library.
Unit 5 Assignment 1 Diversity Issues in Career Counseling – Multicultural and Gender Issues
In this unit you explored five different cultural groups and the need for cultural competence. As was discussed by Zunker, we must understand our own assumptions, values, and biases, as well as the worldviews of others and then develop appropriate strategies and interventions. The goal of this assignment is to demonstrate your understanding of cultural competence, your limitations as they relate to career counseling, and your plan to develop the needed skills.
For this assignment, choose a cultural group of which you are not a member and create a persona for a fictitious member of that group. Address the following elements in your assignment:
- Describe a fictitious person from your chosen cultural group with a presenting career or job-related concern, who you will use as your client or student.
- Example: if you are an African-American male, you may choose to write about a person who identifies as female, Navajo American Indian, married with five children, living on a reservation, forty years old with a high school education who recently lost her job as a human resources clerk.
- Analyze how societal norms such as gender, age, culture, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics may have influenced your client’s career development. Select at least three characteristics or diversity issues. How might these factors, combined with the presenting career counseling issue, impact the person’s mental well-being, life roles, and relationships with others? Multicultural and Gender Issues
- Assess how biases and assumptions can impact the career counseling process both from your perspective as the counselor and from the perspective of the client or student. Propose strategies to decrease biases and assumptions.
- Assess your own biases and describe how you will work to decrease these biases when working with diverse populations. Describe strategies you can use to decrease your biases and assumptions.
Your assignment should be 4 pages in length, include at least five references, and follow current APA style and format.
Diversity Issues in Career Counseling Template Below: Multicultural and Gender Issues
Unit 5 Assignment: Diversity Issues in Career Counseling
Here you are to summarize the contents of this paper. This summary should be one short paragraph that includes the purpose of this assignment, the name of the cultural group, and the list of this assignment’s components in narrative (not list) form
Unit 5 Assignment: Elements of an APA Paper
Start writing your introduction here (1–2 paragraphs). An effective introduction prepares the reader by identifying the purpose of the paper and providing the organization of the paper. Please double-space and remember to indent all paragraphs throughout your paper (not block form).
Aim to keep your writing objective using third person. Unless required for the specific assignment, please do not include a table of contents, as it is not APA style. Review paper guidelines on page requirements and number of sources required.
Unless citing a classic work, aim to cite research articles and texts published within the past five years. Please use headings throughout your paper that are consistent with the paper’s scoring guide (that way you ensure you are adequately addressing all required areas).
When you finish writing your paper, re-read it to check for errors and make sure your ideas flow well. A helpful tip is to read your paper aloud to yourself. If it does not sound right to your ear, it is not working on paper! Please submit your papers to Turnitin (linked in the course) to check for plagiarism.
In the introduction to this section, describe the fictitious client you are creating for this assignment. The person should be from a cultural group that is not your own. Refer to the example in the unit for clarification.
Client’s Career Development
Analyze the impact societal norms regarding diverse factors —such as gender, age, culture, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics —that may have influenced this fictitious client. Select at least three diverse factors to analyze in this section.
Discuss how these factors, combined with the presenting career issue, might impact the person’s mental well-being, relationships with others, and life roles.
Biases and Assumptions
In this section, assess how biases and assumptions may impact the career counseling process from your client’s perspective and from the counselor’s perspective. Be certain to propose strategies for ways counseling professionals can address these biases and assumptions.
In this section, discuss your biases and assumptions about your chosen cultural group. Describe strategies to decrease your own biases and assumptions. Please remember to write this in third person.
Please provide a conclusion that summarizes the main ideas of your paper.
Begin your references on a separate page with the heading above (not bold). (Delete this and all these instructions when you are done reading them.) For this paper you are to have at least three references not including your text.
You must have a reference for each source cited in your paper. Do not list a reference that was not cited in your paper. Consult your APA manual for proper examples on citing and referencing APA style.
DOWNLOAD ANSWER BELOW:
Abstract – Multicultural and Gender Issues
This study analyzes that case of Anna, a 45 years-old single mother of three children, whose husband died of alcoholism and she has been sacked from a mining company. The study finds that Anna faces segregation from her family who accuse her of neglecting her ailing husband. As a woman and the sole breadwinner, she is facing a hard time catering for her family and her ailing mother.
She is anxious and fears she will slip into depression. I analyzing this case, I have made assumptions and biases against Native Americans including their support system, treating of windows and single mothers, and others. I will overcome these assumptions by reading more about Native Americans and interviewing a Native American.