Unit 6: Data Analysis – Compare Data Analysis Methods
INTRODUCTION – Compare Data Analysis Methods
Once you collect the data for a research project, it must be analyzed. What is to be done with these numbers, words, or scores? Compare Data Analysis Methods
Your previous reading indicated that generally data analysis is the search for patterns in the data that has been observed and collected. The way this is conducted depends on the methodology selected. Quantitative research uses some form of statistical manipulation to detect the presence, lack of presence, strength, or directional attributes of those patterns. Qualitative research tends to extract themes that emerge as the data is being collected and analyzed.
It is beyond the scope of this course to describe the many data analysis procedures available in the literature. In this unit, you will demonstrate your chosen method of data analysis for your project and compare it to methods used in other studies in the literature.
OBJECTIVES of Compare Data Analysis Methods
To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
1. Design a method of data analysis for an addiction counseling research study.
2. Compare data analysis methodologies from the addiction counseling literature related to research and data analysis.
3. Communicate your critiques effectively to a professional academic audience.
Consult the Capella University Library to locate peer-reviewed journal articles that are relevant to your final project. Use these articles to complete this unit’s “Compare Data Analysis Methods” discussion. Locate four peer-reviewed journal articles:
- Two articles that describe analysis method(s) that are similar to your chosen method.
- Two articles that describe analysis method(s) that are different from your chosen method.
Discussion 1: 1 page needed with minimum of 250 words and 2 references.
When data is collected, its raw form can look varied and confusing. Data may take the form of completed surveys, scored assessments, pages of transcribed conversations, observational notes, words, numbers, or a collection of these.
Describe the step-by-step data analytical procedure you are using for your proposed study, and be sure to integrate the Royse, Thyer, and Padgett text readings.
Discussion 2: 1 page needed with minimum of 250 words and 2 references.
Compare Data Analysis Methods
Compare your chosen data analysis method to that of the articles you found in this unit’s studies.
- Using the two articles that describe method(s) similar to your analysis method, compare the method(s) to your selected method.
- Using the two articles that describe method(s) different from your analysis method, contrast the method(s) to your selected method.
- Are you confident that your chosen method of data analysis is the best choice for your specific study? What would you modify, if anything, and why?
- How does the question of ethics play into the method of data analysis?Be sure to cite the electronic source for each article using the correct APA style and format.